15 December 2015

WHAT TO SEE IN OSLO


Do you remember a post about my future trip to Oslo? It's been a week since I went back from there and I'm still really excited about it. I knew that Oslo is going to be one of the best cities I've been so far, but I think it was even better. Today I would like to show you what you should see in the Norwegian capital, especially if you have only 48 hours for sightseeing.

Lindoya is a small, but charming island located in the Oslofjord where you can get by water tram. To be honest there are not monuments or museums, so for some people it can be boring. Most of the island's area is covered by forest. It's definately worth going there even just for the views and relaxing walk in front of nature. I took the most beautiful pictures from the whole trip there (you can see them on my Instagram).


Bygdoy is a peninsula in Oslo. You can get by car, bus (line n. 30 runs every 10 minutes from Oslo Central Station) or water tram. It is famous from many museums which are located there and two beaches - Huk and Paradisbukta. Some people also live there. I visited two museums which seemed to be the most interesting for me - The Kon-Tiki Museum and Viking Ship Museum.

The Kon-Tiki Museum is about Thor Heyerdahla journey on the Kon-Tiki raft through the Pacific Ocean in 1947. For me, as a girl who loves travelling, it was awesome and I spent there a lot of my time, because I didn't want to skip anything. What is more, a documentary movie about that journey won an Oscar!

The Viking Ship Museum is not big, so you don't need to spend much time there. There are three ships and all the things which Vikings used to own. Kind of cool, isn't it?


Vigeland Sculpture Park is the largest sculpture park in the world made by a single artist. The park consists with more than 200 sculptures in bronze, granite and wrought iron made by Gustav Vigeland. Some of them are kind of controversial because of sexual references. Unfortunatelly I don't have pictures from that place, because I got there during the evening, but google it if you're interested.

Oslo Opera House is a house for The Norwegian National Opera and Ballet. It's my favourite building in Oslo. When you go on the top, you can see the beautiful panorama of the city. I loved the impression that people walk on the snow, can you see that in the picture below?


Munch Museum has the largest collection of Edvard Munch's arts. It consists painting, graphical prints and drawings. Of course must see painting is the "Scream". I had a really bad luck during my weekend in Oslo, because the museum borrowed that one for the other exibition. Well, at least I saw some sketches. One good surprsise there was the fact that entrance to the museum that day was free!
The Royal Palace is an official habitat for Norwegian monarchs. During the summer the building is open to the public and visitors can have a tour through rooms such as Cabinet Cloakroom, Cabinet Parlour, Mirror Hall, Family Dining Room etc. One of the experiences you can also have there is changing of the guard. I saw the Royal Palace only from the outside and it was really impressive. The view of the palace from the main street is absolutely awesome! 

One of the European traditions are Christmas Markets. If you are lucky and you explore Oslo before Christmas like me, you should visit one. Try some hot drinks and eat delicious roasted almonds or just enjoy the atmosphere. I felt so festive right away there!


I was able to explore Oslo only for two days, but that time was enough to awaken my love to Norwegian capital. Fortunatelly, Oslo, at least the centre, is pretty small, so it was easy to follow from one place to another one (don't be afraid if it doesn't look like that on the map haha).

Next time I'm going to visit Bergen or Stravanger and see the most beautiful fjords. Have you ever been there? I will be grateful to hear some tips.

Would you like to visit Oslo? What would you see?

Love,
https://www.facebook.com/cravingfortravelbloghttps://instagram.com/cravingfortravelblog/https://www.pinterest.com/blogcravingfort/https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/craving-for-travel-14548257

No comments:

Post a Comment